Friday, September 27, 2013

Top of a Diamond

Rooftop terraces are right up my street. I can still hope I will have one some day, somewhere... For now, visiting some when they are open is the only thing I can do... This last terrace was special, it was on top of a diamond, once the biggest known diamond, the Koh-i-Noor.


For generations now, most little children in Central Europe start their drawing career with a set of coloured pencils from Koh-i-Noor Hardmuth. I still own two sets  of these pencils plus one of aquarel pencils. They last and have beautiful colours. 





The company was originally founded in the Austria-Hungary Empire in 1790. By the beginning of the 20th Century, they've expanded to Milan, New York and Paris. In Paris, a very contemporary building was built by the company in 1906, mostly of metal and glass. Koh-I-Noor Hardmuth doesn't own the building any more but it is newly renovated and opened to the public during the European Heritage Days. It's a hidden gem, a real work of art in a small street, a real diamond.








No comments:

Post a Comment